Key Stage 2, Half Day Session "What a squash it is in the shelter" Pupil, Beacon Hill School
Ipswich at War
What was life like on the Home Front for an Ipswich family during the second world war?
Careful examination of 'lost property' provides clues about different family members. Through activities related to each person, children explore their lives during the war.
- follow the ARP warden's instructions to build an Anderson Shelter and imagine how it would have felt sitting in one during long and frightening raids
- send messages on the Morse Code machine and try typing on old typewriters
- follow a trail through the World War II gallery exploring bomb sites and imagining what it would have been like to be an evacuee
- learn rag-rugging and talk about ways to 'Make Do and Mend'
- dress up as members of the family and share experiences