Romans on the Road!
Romans on the Road
Colchester Castle is closed for a major refurbishment project until April 2014. During this time we are offering a number of exciting alternative packages: Click below for more detailed information about them:
Romans on the Road - Romans sessions in your school
For a month the Castle will be empty of all displays and will provide the perfect backdrop for this major re-enactment day for Keystage 1 and 2 pupils.
An exciting re-enactment day will bring Roman Colchester to life.
Romans in Colchester:
This session is no longer available. When the Castle redisplay is complete and the Castle re-opens in April 2104, we also have a new schools programme.
Romans in Colchester: Colchester was the first Roman capital of Britain and the scene of Boudica's revolt. See amazing objects that tell the story of these dramatic events. Explore the lives of Celts and Romans as Colchester changed from an Iron Age settlement to a prosperous Roman town.
Package A: Galleries only
- activity sheets and interactive exhibits engage children and focus their looking as they explore the galleries
Package B: Galleries + story tour*
- journey 2000 years back in time, going deep into the Roman vaults under the Castle to hear the story of Boudica's revolt
- a highlight of any visit
Package C: Galleries + story tour* + hands-on archaeology activity
The activity session for this package is temporarily unavailable until April 2014. Instead why not combine your Package A or Package B visit with a visit to our amazing 'Treasures of China' exhibition in the castle at no extra cost? A worksheet is available for download from the menu on the right of this page. Treasures of China is on display until 6th January 2013.
develop skills of an archaeologist piecing together evidence about the past
- handle real Roman pottery and work out what it was used for
- work as a team to construct a Roman villa and Iron Age roundhouse
- this activity is teacher-led, following a FREE pre-visit training session
* Lift access is limited to the galleries. An alternative story tour is available for children who are unable to access the vaults.
Shop: All packages include time to visit the shop. If you prefer you can order our special themed 'Roman goody bags'. Please download and return order form before your visit if you would like goody bags.
Treasures of China: We have created a worksheet expecially for schools to explore this amazing exhibition. Why not add to your trip by downloading the worksheet from the menu and exploring over 5000 years of Chinese treasures?