Kay Stage 1, Half or Whole Day Visit "It has deepened children's understanding of both toys in the past and how children's lives have changed" Teacher, Myland Primary School
Toys and Homes
The amazing Hollytrees dolls house gives children a birds-eye view of life in the past. It allows them to compare their lives with the Round family and their servants who lived in Hollytrees and to ask their own questions about life in the past. Dressing up in aprons and waistcoats, children travel back in time to discover answers for themselves through a variety of practical activities.
Homes: Exploring life in Hollytrees
- handle mystery objects and work out who used them
- find out how things worked without electricity
- help the servant sort and clean the household's washing and discover what hard work it was
Toys: Exploring toys and games from the past
- play with a variety of old toys and games
- sort and compare old and new toys, investigating their different mechanisms and materials
- write on a slate and experience what it was like for children who had lessons at home
Additional teacher-led activities and toys gallery trail complement this session to provide a fantastic whole day visit.