- Travel from the open sea through the salt marshes and beaches to the more familiar urban environments of the park. Discover what rocks lie beneath your feet with a look at local geology and find out what lurks in your garden.
- Our Geology and Climate gallery opened in 2009 and follows the geological history of the area and looks at the issues of global warming and associated climate change.
- Learn more about the stag beetle in a display dedicated to this fascinating insect. Find out about their lifecycle, threats to their survival and what you can do to help.
- Lift the flaps and crawl through the tunnel in the Underground display to discover creatures who live beneath the ground. Meet Firefly our fox and feel the coarse hairs of her coat......but please be gentle!
- Peer through the window and see how many Night Visitors you can spot.
Finally, check out some of Colchester's park life and a section on the wildlife of The River Colne.
Bird Egg Project : Temporary Display (12th September - 10th October 2013)
A temporary exhibition about the recent bird egg collection review. Find out more about the review and see some of the interesting specimens from the collection.
Temporary Display (8th December - August 2013)
The museum is a perfect chance to give the children a quick break from shopping. It is popular with children because of its focus on animals and the local area - both the familiar and the unexpected - did you know that mammoths and hippos used to roam around the area?
Other features for children include:
- Resource trolley - contains books, magnifying glasses, trails and more!
- Crawl-through badger sett
- Interactive microscope - look at your own objects or find something interesting in the resource trolley
- Bird cam Launched
In the summer holidays we host Go Live! week where we have live animals in the museum (a small charge applies for this event).